Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Welcoming Chase Edward

Chase Edward Blackinton
Born September 8, 2018 at 11:14 am
6 pounds 14 ounces, 20 inches

Round 2! I was just as nervous anticipating labor and delivery for Chase as I was with Lexi. The first time around Ted and I just had to worry about getting ourselves to the hospital but now I was concerned with Lexi. My parents and a few friends were on call. I was also scared I wouldn't know what it would feel like and when to go to the hospital, which I just laugh about now. Lexi was born 9 days early and Chase surprised us even earlier at 15 days before my due date.

We went to Rowayton Seafood on a Friday night to celebrate our anniversary while my parents watched Lexi. It had been awhile since we had a date night and knew it would probably be our last since Chase was due in 2 weeks. When we got home, we watched a few episodes of Ozark on Netflix (the first series I have watched in forever) and went to bed around midnight. Similar to the night before Lexi was born, I told Ted I was feeling "weird" ... can't explain it.  He said he bet I would be going into labor soon, and he was right. I kept waking up every 20 minutes and the contractions had started. They were irregular so I didn't know what to think. Around 3 am, I couldn't sleep so went downstairs to watch TV. I downloaded an app (the same one I used with Lexi) to start timing them and when they became consistent decided it was time to take a shower, just in case. I called my parents around 4:30 am asking them to come over, but warned it could be a false alarm. In the hour that it took them to arrive, I knew it was definitely go time. We probably could have left for the hospital a little sooner but I had to blow dry my hair....

My contractions in the car on the way to the hospital were stronger and painful. On arrival, I was 5 cm dilated and immediately admitted. (This time around I wasn't asked to walk around the hospital for an hour to see if I progressed before being admitted.) I requested an epidural immediately and while it was being administered asked why it had worn off by delivery for Lexi... begging for assurance that wouldn't happen again. No guarantees but at least I put it out there! I was happy to have the same doctor on call that delivered Lexi and had been seeing up until delivery. She estimated around 8 am that the baby would be born before noon. Well after taking a nap it was go time. A couple of pushes and Chase was born at 11:14 am. He immediately peed all over the nurse and we were all laughing... what an entrance. My labor and delivery was much faster and easier that I almost didn't believe he was here. No screaming... no vomiting. The epidural did its job.

Thankfully he was born healthy and there were no complications with either of us. We decided to have the rest of the day at the hospital with just Chase before bringing Lexi to meet him. It was still sinking in that I now had two babies! I wasn't sure how I could love another as much as her but it's true that your love does not get divided it multiplies.

I love my little boy so much. He's the sweetest and we are blessed to welcome him to our family!


No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig